Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Dutch treat! Taai Taai

Yummy! 
Taai Taai is Dutch for "tough tough" but don't get the wrong idea! Do not mistake hard, or stale with tough.
Below is a picture of what traditional Taai Taai looks like. It is shaped as a figurine. 
Traditional Taai Taai






 This cookie is kind of a  cross between cake/bread/cookie. But they are yummy & have been around for a long time. It has a gingerbread similar taste, but it is different.
Traditionally they are eaten around December 5th when Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) comes with his zwarte pieten and gives toys to all the kids.
It is a difficult thing to make at home. My mom has made them before & I have too without much success. They came out rock solid!!
Being determined, I wanted needed to find a way to make the perfect Taai Taai I have been longing to make!

I used a liquid honey instead of melting the honey that came in a container. Also, I took  it out of the oven-way before I thought I should. I also added a good spoon of baking powder-something the recipe didn't call for, but I was desperate! The recipe called for 1/2 egg but I used 1 full egg.
The result??? Yummy taai taai that was almost perfect!! Following is the recipe I came up with :)


Recipe
  • 330 gram liquid honey
  • 1 egg
  • 300 gram all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp "speculaas kruiden" *
  • 2 tbsp crushed anise seeds (will not be Taai Taai unless you add anise!)
In a small bowl mi together the honey & egg and combine
Mix the flour, baking powder, kruiden & anise seeds
Add honey mixture into the flour mixture
Using an electric mixer, mix until combined
Roll out & cut into shapes
To get the traditional look, you can use an egg wash
Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes
DO NOT OVER-BAKE, it will turn into rock!

**Speculaas Kruiden
6 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cardamom
(these are approximate, I make the mix using smell, yes I can tell if it's the right amount by smell!)
BTW-This is one of my most "secret" recipe, this spice mix is not just any mix!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment